Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Teach Therefore I Am... But What Is I Am?

The gray matter of youth is the clay with which I am intrepidly trusted to shape the Adams and Eves our ever evolving world, a world that is forever yet to come, and, as such, an ever new world.

I teach, therefore, I am... But what is I am? Could it be that as "teacher" I am by default a peopler of new worlds? "In the beginning God created..." and subsequently took a rest, which, by default, has left me as a substitute (a sub-sub of the Great Creator) with dominion over my own little garden. Logical? Not really. But possible?

Today my classroom is Eden, and I am the god of this world, and in my classroom-garden-world everything is possible.

Okay, so maybe that's a bit grandiose. Maybe I'm just a splash of the dreggs of the liberally arts educated masses that's willing to show up daily by 7:35 a.m. to take the stage before 150 students, and turn off the lights after they all go home for a measly $2,761 in monthly take home.

Whatever the case, in the words of Popeye, "I ams what I ams." So for now, from 7:35 a.m. until I go home (which is often long after they go home), I teach, therefore, I am Mr. Bates, my school is my world, and this is my place to to blog about it.

1 comment: